Friday, September 26, 2008

out of the garden and into the blender

Going from this:
to this:
to this:

Instead of watching large amounts of vegetables from the garden rot away, I decided to cut them up and throw them in my trusty Vitamix. I had fresh from the garden: tomatoes, crookneck squash, zucchini, green beans, parsley, banana peppers & one jalapeno (I have more, I just didn't think I could handle eating it with more than that). I added baby carrots from the fridge, some onion and a bit of water then pureed the whole thing (several times over in fact, so I could have some in the freezer for the winter months).

To make tortilla soup I poured some in a pot, added cooked ground beef, a can of corn, a can of tomatoes and heated through. We used taco-type toppings and ate it with minimally crushed tortilla chips. Yummy!

(but I didn't think through my storage very thoroughly because I put the bags in the rack meant for juice and, being two deep, they expanded around the wire so I can't get them out. Oops! I'll have to pull out the whole rack and thaw them just enough to get them out. My husband and our friends all had a good laugh at my expense!)

1 comment:

Jen said...

That looks good! I love soup! Esp with fresh veggies.