Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jaida's hat and a matching scarf


Birdie was invited to a birthday party this evening. When she came home a few days ago with the invitation I had in my hand a chevron blankie I had just started. Crocheting the chevron stitch is a newly acquired skill for me. I felt proud. I had thought that the stitch pattern would make a cute scarf, so I asked Bird if I could crochet a scarf for Jaida's birthday present.

I used yarn out of my stash and the Easy Ripple Afghan pattern because, of all of the chevron stitch patterns I saw, it had the easiest (for me, anyway) instructions for creating the chevron. I soon had a scarf that received rave reviews from 3 of my 4 girls (Tessa was neither here nor there on the issue).

Then I decided it needed a hat, so I went looking for a crochet hat pattern that was uncomplicated enough for my poor little brain to decipher. My quest was unsuccessful so I just made one up as I went along. Its popularity among my little crowd led me to sit down, write out how I made it, and promise to make more in the near future. I'll put the directions here too, in case anyone else is interested.

Jaida's Hat

fits girls from about 8 to 12 yrs old (for a larger size, CH 4 at the beginning and one DC in round 1)
Using a J hook and two different colored yarns (one variegated):
Start with color A (white, in this case)

CH 3, join, CH 2 (to form the loop)
1. DC 12 stitches around loop, CH 1, join, CH 2
2. DC next ST, 2 DC each remaining stitch, CH1, join, CH2
3. DC each ST around, CH 1, join, CH 2
4. repeat round 2
5 - 9. repeat round 3
10. change to color B (variegated), repeat round 3
11. change to color A, repeat round 3
12 - 14. color B, repeat round 3
15. color A, repeat round 3
16. color B, repeat round 3
17 - 18. color A, HDC around all ST, CH 1, join, CH 1
19. color A, HDC around all ST, join, tie off

weave in ends.


abbreviations: CH = chain; DC = double crochet; ST = stitch; HDC = half double crochet (not to be confused with a single crochet but that fact alone is enough to confuse me.)

14 comments:

Sandi said...

beautiful colors, you did a very nice job on them! :-D

Mama Bear said...

Very cute! The scarf has such a fun look to it! Great colors.

Wool Winder said...

They both turned out great! I always say I will learn to crochet one day, but I never just sit down and do it.

Jen said...

I love it! The chevron (wave) pattern is a fav of mine. And the hat is too cute! Good job figuring that out without a pattern!

Momma B said...

Very slick!

TulipGirl said...

Oh, I love them! I wish I had skillz.

Gnomie said...

I love the patterns and I'm about half way done with the hat. Does it need to be blocked?

Marcia said...

Gnomie, I would reply on email, but it didn't give me that option. I guess I should have added that and if I remember to later, I might still. I forget about blocking because I'm so lazy that I almost never do it. So, no. I don't block the hat. I've made a few now. And thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Great little hat.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the free pattern! I've been looking for a hat/scarf pattern for my daughter this winter and I think I might do this one!

Kimberly Conrad said...

this patten would look a lot better if she would look up so people could see how it would look on her face.

Kimberly Conrad said...

Where is the pattern for the scarf>

Unknown said...

網頁設計 網路行銷 關鍵字廣告 關鍵字行銷 餐飲設備 製冰機 洗碗機 咖啡機 冷凍冷藏冰箱 蒸烤箱 關島婚禮 巴里島機票 彈簧床 床墊 獨立筒床墊 乳膠床墊 床墊工廠 產後護理之家 月子中心 坐月子中心 坐月子 月子餐 銀行貸款 信用貸款 個人信貸 房屋貸款 房屋轉增貸 房貸二胎 房屋二胎 銀行二胎 土地貸款 農地貸款 情趣用品 情趣用品 腳臭 長灘島 長灘島旅遊 ssd固態硬碟 外接式硬碟 記憶體 SD記憶卡 隨身碟 SD記憶卡 婚禮顧問 婚禮顧問 水晶 花蓮民宿 血糖機 血壓計 洗鼻器 熱敷墊 體脂計 化痰機 氧氣製造機 氣墊床 電動病床 ソリッドステートドライブ USB フラッシュドライブ SD シリーズ

Leslie Lim said...

I read your blog.I thought it was great.. Hope you have a great day. God bless.

Rica
www.imarksweb.org