Sunday, November 02, 2008

a corner


The other day, as I was making dinner, I looked at this corner of my house and noticed the volume of items with sentimental value residing here was larger than I'd ever realized.

On the stove I have a pitcher holding my wooden utensils that was a gift from my oldest sister on (I think) my 18th birthday. As long as I've had my own kitchen, it has housed these items in that same spot on the stove, from apartment to house to apartment to house to apartment to house and finally, here. Home. (we moved a lot)

Above that is a trivet resting atop the stove. My mom had it hanging in her kitchen from as far back as I can remember until they just redecorated a couple of years ago. I snatched it out of the thrift store box. I remember knowing it was supposed to be funny but not understanding why. It reads: "I'm the boss in this house and I have my wife's permission to say so." And now, my kids read it, know it is supposed to be funny, but don't really understand why. I love it!


Above, again, another item from Mom's kitchen, the spice rack. On the shelf is a wooden decoration of a barrel of apples my mom bought for me at Hobby Lobby the year did our second tree for The Festival of Trees.

The trivet hanging on the wall was given to me by my friend Michelle (as my daughters would say, total BFF). She found it at a thrift store. It gets used a lot.

The two plates on the wall were camping plates that belonged to my great-grandparents. She is the grandmother after whom my mom named me. I love the chipped enamel. I love that they remind me of how much Mom loved her nanna.

In the shadow box frame I hung a towel that was embroidered by my mom when she was all of eight-years-old. Also in the frame is a little tea strainer that was a gift to me from an old lady I very much loved. She and I graduated from the same high school 80 years apart. My oldest daughter is named for her.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

It is wonderful that you display and use these memorable items and that your children are learning about their great grandparents, grandparents, and other family members through them. I am sure they will cherish the items in their own homes when they are grown.

Renna said...

What an adorable kitchen, I LOVE the red walls! It's so neat that you are able to (tastefully) incorporate the items with sentimental attachment into your decor!

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

I love that you have all that sentimental value displayed so well. My mom was a pack rat and held on to so much, some of it for sentimental reasons, but it was all stuck away in boxes covered in dust. It's just great that you can be reminded of all of those wonderful people in your life.

Tracy Batchelder said...

It's special items like these that make a house a home.

Momma B said...

Very home-y and filled with love, from the looks of things!

Ellen said...

LOL ! Marcia, I'm with Cassie. I'm afraid that my corners wouldn't as charming, elegant and meaning-filled as yours ! I loved seeing your special kitchen corner, and reading about it, though. ;-)

knitalittle said...

I'm sure when your kids go on their way they will take a bit of home with them. wonder what it will be. What ever it is from your home I think it will contain love, lots of love.