Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Little Things

I'm borrowing the idea for this post (and the title too) from Wool Winder, who has graced the knitting blog world with pictures of some of the lovely things in her home.

Here are a few things that make me happy:

This plate was one of many that my grandfather collected. He passed away over ten years ago. Since his death, my grandma has given a lot of the plates away to Grandpa's children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Five such plates reside in my home, one for each of my daughters and one for me.

I was given this angel figurine about six years ago by a good friend. Shortly after having received her, she was accidentally knocked off of the table and broken just under her arms by my oldest daughter, who was four-years-old. At that time we only had three children (we now have four). The accident made me sad, but I went on with my day. When I came up from doing laundry I found that my baby, then only two-years-old, had taken the angel and scotch-taped her back together. I scratched my plans to super glue the angel and she remains taped around the middle to this day.

Finally, this apple shaped teapot was a gift from my second daughter a Christmas or two ago. Her face while I opened such an obvious treasure was priceless. She's a very thoughtful little girl who knows how much her mama likes both tea and apples.

And so, like Wool Winder, I ask: What are some of your favorite things?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I love that you have these things to make you happy and that you shared them here.
Lisa

knitalittle said...

Awww Im speachless. Thank you. Lovely!

Tracy Batchelder said...

I love how you have told the stories behind the things that make you happy! The butterfly quilt in the guest room (pictured in my post) also makes me happy. My grandmother made it for me from a very old pattern. The appliquéd butterflies are made from left over fabric that she had from her sewing. She is now 92 years old and cannot see well enough to sew or quilt anymore. I treasure her and the quilt she made me.

Jen said...

I love the story about your plates.
I would have left the angel taped too.

Vikki said...

Absolutely adorable story about the angel. Memories of grandparents are so wonderful. I'll post about mine when I get a chance. Your teapot is too cute as I'm sure the face that gave it to you was. :)
Blessings, Vikki