Friday, February 22, 2008

Salvation Army

At the beginning of January my friend Jenni and I decided to organize and update a room a month (organize? Who, me?). This month I've been working on my bedroom. It's funny to me that we've lived in this house 7 years and almost everything was still boring and white until last summer when I redid the living room. I'm a little slow with things sometimes.

So, my room. White. Boring. I have one personal challenge in the updating and organizing: Do it as inexpensively as possible. I have been loving the challenge of thrift store shopping! My husband had been wanting a reading corner so when I saw a beautiful wooden chair by the basement door at my mom's houses, I asked her about it. Right away she told me I could take it home if I wanted. The chair had belonged to her dad and so while she didn't have a use for it she couldn't get rid of it either. The afghan I bought at a local thrift store for $2. From time to time I wondered about the person who crocheted it and felt a little sad that their hard work ended up in a second-hand shop.

I have been keeping a list of items to look out for while out and about. Yesterday I took a trip up to the nearest big city to their Salvation Army. A friend had told me that it was an amazing thrift store, and she was right! I found several treasures: the table to go next to my grandpa's chair & two working lamps. The little table is solid wood and was an amazing buy at $10. The silver based lamp with the beaded shade that sits atop the table was $7. I fell immediately in love with the wooden based lamp that was only $4 and I was able to find a shade that is in brand-new condition for just $1. The one thing I did not like about the shade was how bright-white it was. My friend suggested I tea stain it, which was the perfect solution.

Still on my list is a night stand for the side of the bed, but until I find one this TV tray works pretty well. I have a few other projects in the works that I will post about when they are completed. I hope to have the room finished by Wednesday, a little before my deadline.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely and cozy! Great thrift store finds too.

Tracy Batchelder said...

Great additions at bargain prices. Looks great!

Jen said...

I like the shade! You'll have to remind me what it took to do that. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have been busy while I have been away from the internet.

The afghan scarves are lovely. The socks are great! But I really love the reading corner. I have been planning on redoing my bedroom from "the place where everything that has no home ends up" to a special place of retreat and you have really inspired me!

Mama Bear