Sunday, May 24, 2009

the memory keepers daughter



Yesterday I finished reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. I liked it! I picked it up on a whim while walking through Target a few weeks ago. I had never heard of the book or, I guess, the movie made from it. A lot of people said it's sad and it is. But it didn't depress me (a good thing!). It's reflective. It's though provoking. And while it's true there has been no dramatic one moment of my life that by itself defined every moment to come after, as there was for David, it made me stop to consider how things add up over time.

I loved the use of photography as a subject in the book but that probably isn't much of a surprise because it isn't exactly a secret that I love photography. She illustrates the way I feel about pictures very well and I wonder if my motivation isn't something like David's. If I don't somehow want to create a moment, a perfect moment. I want to stop time. I want to just hold on a little longer.

A good book. Even my husband has now picked up the book and started reading.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

This is the first that I've heard about this book/movie. I will definitely look for it. Thanks.

Sarah said...

You're right: sad, and VERY thought-provoking.