Thursday, December 27, 2007
As I'm sure it has been for most people, the last month or two have been busy here in our neck of the woods. I had a lot of knitting drama with some pink socks I was working on. But! I finished them on time (barely). I knit these tipless things for a friend who tried one of the aforementioned pink socks on her hand and commented that she'd like them that way. Well. The socks were a gift for her mother but as soon as they came off my needles, these little bad boys went on. It's amazing how much faster something knits up on 7's over 2's.
There wasn't really a pattern, I just did what worked. I knit a 1x1 rib for about an inch and a half or so (I kept measurements between knuckles, never with a ruler. It seemed easier) using size 5 dpns. After that I switched to 7's and did this: k3, p2, k3, p2 (10 per needle over 4 needles) adding mini braid cable thing on one of the k3's (I made them opposite each other so they would match when worn on the right and left hands). After knitting that for a while I ended with the same rib I began with. The thumb was super easy. I just left a hole (instead of knitting in the round I knit back and forth for a while) then later picked up 4 stitches at the base adding one on each side until it went all of the way around. These were fun and easy! I'd like to knit them again in acrylic (not 100% wool, like these) so I can wear them. Wool is too itchy for me.